Re: [TICTOC] [ntpwg] New version of draft-mizrahi-ntp-checksum-trailer

Danny Mayer <mayer@ntp.org> Sun, 27 October 2013 19:19 UTC

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:18:50 -0400
From: Danny Mayer <mayer@ntp.org>
To: Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>, "ntpwg@lists.ntp.org" <ntpwg@lists.ntp.org>, "tictoc@ietf.org" <tictoc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] [ntpwg] New version of draft-mizrahi-ntp-checksum-trailer

On 10/27/2013 9:42 AM, Tal Mizrahi wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
>> That also means that the extension field MUST NOT be added by any intermediate nodes if it does not exist.
>
> I am not sure we want to go there, for 2 reasons:
>
> 1. Let's not forget that the source and the intermediate node are in
fact two modules in the same client/server (see Figure 1 in the draft).
>From an interoperability perspective it would be exactly the same if the
source created the extension field, or the intermediate node did. Why
would we mandate a specific implementation detail that would be
completely transparent to the network?

Maybe I missed that in the draft, but don't you want the sending server
to decide whether or not it expects the timestamp be updated? Having
intermediate systems update the timestamp and extension field without
the originating server sanctioning it seems even worse (to me).

> 2. A clock that receives an NTP message has no way of knowing
> whether
an extension field was added by the source or by an intermediate node,
and thus there is no way to enforce (enforce from a security
perspective) the requirement you suggested.

True enough but don't you want the originator to have a say in this so
that this becomes a recommendation for developers?

I've added TICTOC to the discussion. It was not in the original mail.

Danny