Re: [TLS] Review of draft-guballa-tls-terminology-03

"Schwarz, Albrecht (Nokia - DE)" <albrecht.schwarz@nokia.com> Wed, 27 April 2016 15:48 UTC

From: "Schwarz, Albrecht (Nokia - DE)" <albrecht.schwarz@nokia.com>
To: EXT Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 15:48:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.41]
Subject: Re: [TLS] Review of draft-guballa-tls-terminology-03

Hello Eric,

thanks for starting the discussion in getting the TLS and DTLS terms clarified and fixed!
Just a quick reply today on the overall approach before commenting (or my colleagues) on the individual terms.

1st There are two groups working on (D)TLS specifications: the inner circle of TLS experts which might share a common understanding about the protocol semantics behind a term (this group might be WG TLS and perhaps also UTA); - and there is outer circle refering to (D)TLS in signalling plane, management plane, control plane, application and service specifications etc (such as WGs MMUSIC, RTCWEB, PERC, etc etc and SDOs like ITU-T, 3GPP, OMA, etc etc).
I'm belonging to the second group, lacking that insider knowledge to the TLS experts community.

2nd Definition A vs B for Term X
When using statements "make things clearer / worser than ..." then we need to look at the comparison of A and B.
Now, "A" is (often) not available (or somehow hidden in the existing (D)TLS RFCs, or only described at high level) when "B" relates to the terminology draft.

Furthermore, related the considered set of terms:
We need firstly fixe the terms for the TLS and DTLS "basic protocol set" (see the list of referrenced RFCs in the draft). The usage of them in context of ICE (and the interessting question of ICE restarts), WebRTC, tunnel techniques, etc should be considered in a subsequent step. Either an original term remains unchanged or would need to be further qualified.
But a consideration of "open, forward compatiblity" term semantics will lead in the end to a very vague definition in my understanding.
And it should be feasible to fix these terms because we got concrete information and data models behind the (D)TLS protocol entities. It's merely a question about the concrete set of information behind a particular term.

With regards to hierarchy:
The concept of (D)TLS in separating "session" and "connection|association" level, as well as protocol procedures at the very beginning and during the communication phase represent actually an hierarchical model inside the protocol.
Thus, the terminology draft follows that hierarchical approach (which again should leads to concise individual term definitions).

Regards, Albrecht