Re: [TLS] RFC-4366-bis and the unrecognized_name(112) alert

"t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com> Tue, 08 June 2010 16:19 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:44:51 +0200
Cc: tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] RFC-4366-bis and the unrecognized_name(112) alert

I was about to say that ... but eventually realised I was misinterpreting the
text, so I suggest adding a clause to express the 'if-then-else' more
rigourously ie

"The ServerNameList MUST NOT contain more than one name of the same
name_type.

If the server understood the client hello extension, but
**decides not to continue because it does not recognize the server name, it
MUST send a fatal unrecognized_name(112) alert and terminate the
handshake.

**If the server understood the client hello extension but** decides to continue
the  handshake, sending a warning-level unrecognized_name(112) alert is NOT
RECOMMENDED, since existing  client behavior is unpredictable.

...."

which also makes it clear we are not covering the case of client hello extension
not understood.

Tom Petch