Re: [TLS] [Fwd: {Virus?} I-D Action:draft-latze-tls-tpm-extns-00.txt]

<Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com> Wed, 14 October 2009 11:08 UTC

From: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
To: carolin.latze@unifr.ch, uri@ll.mit.edu
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:08:21 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] [Fwd: {Virus?} I-D Action:draft-latze-tls-tpm-extns-00.txt]

TCG-compliant AIK Certificates are pretty much useless for authenticating
devices, since the whole point of Privacy CA and AIK Certificates is to
hide the real device identity/identifier for privacy purposes.
A valid AIK Credential asserts that the AIK private key is in *some*
genuine conforming TPM, but doesn't really contain device identifiers
that would be useful for authentication of a specific device.

IMHO situations where you'd want to allow access to anyone who has
a genuine TPM (but nobody else) are pretty rare... (and would
probably involve a "remote attestation" about what software the
device is currently running -- so don't really belong in TLS anyway).

Best regards,
Pasi
(not wearing any hats)