Re: [Drip] (reminder) RE: call for adoption for draft-ietf-drip-uas-rid

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Thu, 17 September 2020 14:43 UTC

To: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>, tm-rid@ietf.org
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 10:43:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [Drip] (reminder) RE: call for adoption for draft-ietf-drip-uas-rid

On 9/17/20 9:35 AM, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:
> I dont know how to shar emy thoughts.
>
> You say that we need to comment on the contents, not on the naming.
>
> I could comment on the content if there was the right name.
>
> But the wrong name implies that the comments are not needed.  The name
> is wrong in that it seems to be adopted, so there would be no need of
> comments.

Unmanned Aircraft (Drone) Remote ID is outside the IETF.

This IETF effort is to create a trustworthy Remote ID and Protocols
around its use within the defined aviation framework of UAS.

We chose "Trustworthy", but we need to make it "Trustworthy" within the
highly constrained Broadcast Remote ID transmissions defined in ASTM
F3411-19.  We cannot change the framework; that is given.  We can add
content in specific data objects.

> If the name was right, and the document was not adopted, and if there
> was a chance for the document to _not_ be adopted, then I could
> comment on it.  Otherwise, why should I comment on it if it is already
> adopted?

Procedurally, moskowitz-drip-uas-rid has not been adopted.  My bad about
creating a ietf-drip-uas-rid

So far it is the only proposal for a Trustworthy Remote Id that fits
within the defined constraints.

In My Highly Biased Opinion, it is complete enough to show it meets the
wg charter, thus the call to adopt.

> My comment is around the following:
>
> Is UAS-RID concept decoupled from the use of HIP?  Or does UAS-RID
> mandate the use of HIP?

It is decoupled.  Important point.  In fact no way to operate HIP in a
broadcast media.

HIP MAY be used in follow on DRIP protocols.  In fact there are drafts
that use it.  But that is for later work. First we need the RID.

> Because, there are other ways into which to achieve same effects as
> HIP which might be probably more in use in the Internet today. Or
> maybe there are implementations aspects of HIP that I am not aware of.

It is achieving the same effect as HIT as defined in HIP.  Note that RFC
7250 has a similar identity concept, but it cannot fit within the
F3411-19 broadcast constraints.  Similar problem with RFC 3972.

> These are my comments to a document whose name seems to not need
> comments.
>
> This is a long email, as the situation is difficult.

There is a fair amount of aviation baggage and Identity baggage behind
this work.  As often the case, the draft is the tip of an iceberg.

--
Standard Robert Moskowitz
Owner

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who
gets the credit