Re: [Drip] HHIT field order

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Wed, 07 October 2020 14:43 UTC

To: "Card, Stu" <stu.card@axenterprize.com>, Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Cc: tm-rid@ietf.org
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 10:43:01 -0400
Subject: Re: [Drip] HHIT field order

Michael Richardson pointed out the strongest argument for Suite ID after
HID:

The entity registering the RAAs and allocating HHIT prefix space has an
'easier job' if Suite ID as after RAA as in:

PPPP RRRR HHHH SID HASH

Otherwise the HHIT prefix owner is actually doing 16 allocations to the
RAA; one for each Suite ID value.

I agree in large measure that the HI Hash size is perhaps addressing
politics.  But there is the dynamic per operation (or even only day)
unique HHIT that puts the numbers up into real collision challenges.  I
am working on the numbers for this...

Bob