Re: [Tools-discuss] matrix tests

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Sun, 13 December 2020 23:30 UTC

To: Matthew Wild <mwild1@gmail.com>
Cc: Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 23:30:12 +0000
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] matrix tests

Hiya,

On 13/12/2020 23:01, Matthew Wild wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 20:52, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
> wrote:
>
>> I've run my own matrix server for the last few years for
>> non-IETF purposes.
>>
>> I appreciate the ability to use matrix as mobile clients
>> for matrix are more widely available and more up to date
>> than for jabber. That (better clients) might be more
>> noticeably beneficial when we get back to f2f meetings,
>> as in WFM-mode, I have plenty of screen real-estate.
>>

> I'm curious which clients you tried.

For jabber, pidgin on Ubuntu. For matrix, element/riot
on Ubuntu and IOS. (Not sure it's relevant but "tried"
isn't quite right - I've used pidgin for loadsa years
and the riot/element matrix client for maybe 3 years
of day-to-day usage, so for me those clients are well
known and not on trial.)

And I also had meetecho in a browser too of course, but
rarely use that for the chat room.

> On Android there's (at least)
> Conversations and yaxim, iOS has (at least) Siskin and Monal. All are
> actively developed with releases in the past months, and all of them (to
> answer a point you made later in your email) support editing messages.
>
> I had expected there to be a matrix room corresponding
>> to each jabber room but I didn't investigate much due
>> to the TZ issues and the fact that jabber was fine.
>>

> There is a Matrix bridge that should allow anyone to join the XMPP chats
> from any Matrix client, as I understand it.

I hadn't appreciated that. I think some form of link in the
agenda would be good if/when that's do-able.

> I think the main feature in matrix clients that I like
>> that beats jabber is the ability to edit messages after
>> they've been sent. I'm not sure how that'd pan out with
>> the jabber logs, but am happy to do a test if that's
>> useful. I'm also happy to connect and play about in
>> general if that's helpful, just ping me.
>>

> As mentioned above, all modern clients support editing messages.
>
> This is a common pattern. Clients such as Pidgin and Adium are popular
> among people who are used to Jabber/XMPP from years ago, but both those
> projects are seriously lacking behind today's standards. Unfortunately I
> think many people form opinions of XMPP based on their experiences with
> older "previous generation" software, but modern XMPP has long moved on. I
> know the Pidgin folks are keen to catch up, but they have other
> project-wide priorities they are focusing on.

Fair enough. I'd be happy to try other xmpp clients on Ubuntu
if someone had recommendations.

> On the logs note, I believe with the current setup editing a message will
> probably display the updated message as a new message. As with a number of
> things in the current IETF XMPP deployment, this is something that could be
> improved upon. If the decision is made to stick with XMPP then I think a
> bit of modernization of the deployment would be a great thing,

Agreed.

Cheers,
S.