Re: [Tools-discuss] RFC Email announcements

Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org> Wed, 02 February 2022 03:03 UTC

From: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:02:50 +1300
Cc: Tom Pusateri <pusateri@bangj.com>, tools-discuss@ietf.org
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] RFC Email announcements

In previous discussions on this same point a number of people have noted that this is a not a binary choice as the landing page can be both the info page and show the document as well.  The discussion then normally expands to cover individual preferences on what format is displayed by default and the possibility of storing a preference.  That then can take a detour into the use of cookies for storing preferences and a reminder that this is expressly covered in the Privacy Statement.  A point is sometimes raised about how to avoid a cluttered page if it is both an info page and a document page, to which others then reply that this is trivial with Javascript while providing a perhaps cluttered fallback for those who do not wish to enable Javascript.

All need now is for the RFC Editor Future Program to complete so that we can all understand the new mechanism for proposing, agreeing and implementing such changes.

Jay