[Tools-discuss] MeetEcho A/V UI Suggestion

Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> Wed, 29 July 2020 20:42 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: tools-discuss@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 15:42:25 -0500
Subject: [Tools-discuss] MeetEcho A/V UI Suggestion

So this is a more general change of UI than other suggestions, but might
solve the problems people are having with the UI for muting/unmuting of
video and audio, queueing, etc.

Right now, you have the "Queue", a list of people "Sending Media", and
the rest of the "Particpants". I suggest changing that middle list to
"The Floor". You should be able to "Request the Floor", which puts you
in the queue. The chair can "Grant the Floor" to people in the queue (or
I suppose straight from the "Participants" list, though that might be
considered rude of the chair). You may (if allowed by the chair or the
config) "Take the Floor", which moves you straight from the
"Participants" to "The Floor". And of course you'll want to be able to
"Leave the Floor" or "Leave the Queue".

The change above is somewhat boring by itself, but what it allows you to
do is separate the concepts of muting/unmuting of your audio and video
from the idea of going to the Queue or the Floor. That way I can have
two big obvious buttons to mute or unmute my audio and video,
independent of whether I am on the Floor or not. You can add UI so that
I see my video locally if my video is turned on, and I can see a muted
or unmuted microphone icon over it depending on the state of my mic.
Then, when I go to the Floor, there's no question of whether or not I am
sending audio/video. (Or at the very least, we're back to the same
problem with every other A/V tool of people yelling, "Pete, unmute your
audio." But hopefully this UI would make it a bit more obvious.)

Hope that helps.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best