RE: What's the right forum for developing XML Messaging

David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com> Tue, 22 February 2000 21:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:49:58 -0800
From: David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
Subject: RE: What's the right forum for developing XML Messaging
To: "'Smith, Chris '" <CHRIS.SMITH@ROYALBANK.COM>
Cc: "IETF Trade (E-mail)" <ietf-trade@lists.eListX.com>

Chris

I think there is a great overlap between eCommerce's needs for messaging and
the general need for "messaging" particularly in the area of reliable
messaging and use of security (see
http://www.xml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/msg00145.html
<http://www.xml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/msg00145.html> ) which contains
the Overview and Requirements document for the group and you will find that
the scope is not focused just on eCommerce.

Remember that IOTP was developed to solve a particular eCommerce problem
namely how to do purchases and payments reliably and securely on the
Internet.

If it were not for the overlap in the requiremennt then I would be strongly
advocating separate activities to focus on the needs of each as you suggest.
However as I see it the objectives of the original IETF XML Messaging and
ebXML Transport, Routing and Packaging groups (as compared with ebXML as a
whole) are just about identical.

In my view I anticipate that the results of the work currently under way
will be generally applicable to other situations - not just eCommerce. If
additional needs are required then they I think it should be possible to
meet the need as extensions rather than a re-write.

David