Re: What's the right forum for developing XML Messaging

Kai Yokohama <kai@eye-tech.com> Sun, 13 February 2000 15:31 UTC

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:26:10 +0200
From: Kai Yokohama <kai@eye-tech.com>
Subject: Re: What's the right forum for developing XML Messaging
To: "Dick Brooks (E)" <dick@8760.com>, David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>, Rik Drummond <drummond@onramp.net>
Cc: "ebXML Transport (E-mail)" <ebXML-Transport@lists.oasis-open.org>, "IETF Trade (E-mail)" <ietf-trade@lists.eListX.com>

Forwarded by Kai Yokohama for Ofer Avineri.
--

Dick, David and Rik,

I must add my comments here (which David is probably aware of ;-), Myself
and David had discussed the operational aspects of the XML
Messaging/Transport within the IETF. One of my suggestions was to form a new
WG dedicated to XML Transport/Messaging. The attributes behind my thinking
were the broad requirements from such mechanism. XML Transport or Messaging
mechanism would be a general mean of transporting XML elements/docs. On top
of this "protocol" there would be *many* specific designed languages that
will run on this protocol. ebXML, ECML, DSML, VOXML, MathML and so on
reflect the broad requirements from such a protocol, and therefore I believe
that we need a dedicated WG within the IETF to cover the broad range of
requirements.

I think we have a list dedicated for this subject and I can look up the old
charter document I've worked on. I suggest we'll hold a small e-BoF among us
to decide what's the community consensus,

Regards,

Ofer Avineri
E-MANAGE Product Manager,
Digital Intelligence Systems, Inc.