RE: Bug in IOTP's DTD

David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com> Fri, 15 October 1999 15:52 UTC

From: David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
To: "'Smith, Chris '" <CHRIS.SMITH@royalbank.com>, "'hiroya@sdl.hitachi.co.jp'" <hiroya@sdl.hitachi.co.jp>
Cc: "IETF Trade (E-mail)" <ietf-trade@lists.eListX.com>, "'kawatura@bisd.hitachi.co.jp'" <kawatura@bisd.hitachi.co.jp>, "'kent@differential.com'" <kent@differential.com>
Subject: RE: Bug in IOTP's DTD
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:22:14 -0700
Sender: ietf-trade-owner@lists.eListX.com
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Chris

The reasons are historical to do with the way the digital signatues for IOPT
were developed.

Firstly the IOTP specification with its own digital signature specification
as part of the spec. Later, it was realised that the digital signature part
should be removed and made a separate standard. At the same time as this was
going on the idea of a "Packaged Content" element was being developed in the
main IOTP specification with a default of "NONE"

Then around a year ago it was agreed to base the IOTP digital signature
specification on the work being done by Richard Brown of Globeset as part of
the W3C/IETF digital signature work.

As IOTP couldn't wait for the IETF/W3C group to finish it work we took an
early version of Richard Brown's specification, and built the IOTP dsig from
that. However, this specification had defined "value" differently from the
way it was done in IOTP with a default of "base64".

Hence the difference.

David