Re: [tram] FW: New Version Notification for draft-wang-tram-turnlite-01.txt

"Aijun Wang" <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Tue, 28 October 2014 01:54 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
To: 'Oleg Moskalenko' <mom040267@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:54:25 +0800
Cc: tram@ietf.org, "'Liubing (Leo)'" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [tram] FW: New Version Notification for draft-wang-tram-turnlite-01.txt

Hi, Oleg:

Thanks for your comments. Below is my consideration for your concern points.

Actually, under the TURNLite solution, the communication between the parties
is fully controlled by the Application provider, not the service provider.
The service provider will only relay the packets under the instruction from
the Application provider, via the newly defined "Couple" message. The
"Couple" information is stored in also ephemerally in the CGN devices and
can be withdrawn at the requirement of the Application provider.

Considering the host privacy information, I think the most important thing
is that the service provider should not know the communication contents, not
the peer's address. If one would even want the service provider be blind to
the peer address, they can accomplish this by deploying their own "Full"
TURN server, just as you mentioned that "in some limited circumstances(like
in a strict corporate environment)", for example, the security department of
one corporation). For general host-to-host communication, the hide of peer
address is not one important factor.

TURNLite solution supports also the TLS/DTLS protocol, the communication key
is exchanged directly between the peers. The service provider can't parse
the application layer contents between the two hosts, it just only relay the
TCP/UDP data, as that they do within the CGN devices.

Aijun

> > We are also eager to find other cooperators that are interested in this
topic.
> Any comments are valuable.
> >
> > Mr. Liubing has apply the timeslot to present this draft in the coming
IETF