Re: [tram] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-johnston-tram-stun-origin-02.txt

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Sun, 06 April 2014 23:03 UTC

Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:03:09 -0400
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
To: tram@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tram] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-johnston-tram-stun-origin-02.txt

Hi Justin,

Let me backtrack on my use of the word "frequently", which suggests that
small MTUs are more common than I believe them to be. Let me say instead
that small MTUs are not unheard of. I am unfortunately not in a position
to give numbers, because we no longer forward the DF bit on outgoing
packets (for this reason). I agree that it is uncommon, but when it
occurs, it can cause session failure if you don't help the packets get
through.

So, despite my poor choice of words, I really just meant to indicate
that it does happen sometimes, and that it would be good for a spec that
allows such a large attribute value to provide some guidance on how to
handle the attribute if the resulting message will violate the message
size constraints required by the existing RFCs.

--Brandon

PS: I will do some more investigation and see if I can come up with a
number after all, though I'm not too confident.