Re: [tram] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tram-turn-mobility-00.txt

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Fri, 22 January 2016 15:50 UTC

To: tram@ietf.org
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:50:50 -0500
Subject: Re: [tram] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tram-turn-mobility-00.txt

I've got a couple of comments on the current version of the draft.

s3.1.2
The current text has some discussion of path MTU and STUN message size
restrictions that relates to requirements that I think we have
previously decided to relax. If my memory is correct, we decided in
Dallas to allow request/response messages to assume reasonable path MTU
values (rather than the IPv4 minimum), so we might want to avoid
reiterating limiting guidance from RFC5389. I can't find reference to
this decision in the meeting minutes from Dallas, though, so maybe I'm
mistaken. Nevertheless, it's probably better to just mention that you
can't assume MTUs are the same and point to RFC5389 for further
guidance, rather than repeating requirements language.

s3.2.2
A common use case for mobility will likely be what some have described
as the "walk out the door" problem. Two interfaces are functional (e.g.
both wifi and lte) and you want to seamlessly switch from one to the
other. You probably want to be able to use both interfaces at the same
time while you're figuring out whether/when to switch from one to the
other (make before break). I don't think the current text supports this,
since it indicates that 1) the tuple for the allocation should be
updated and 2) the old ticket can only be used for retransmission. If
I'm misunderstanding the intent of the text, then it would be helpful to
see some explicit discussion of this use case.

Finally (same section), while I can see the value of maintaining the
existing allocation when switching between interfaces/addresses,
sticking to that relay server could be a bad idea if there are
other/better options for the new address. To support make before break
in this case, I think it would be useful for the relay server to be able
to send an ALTERNATE-SERVER attribute in its Refresh response message.
IOW, allow the client to continue using the new allocation, but also let
it know that a different/better relay is available for that address.
There would likely be some ICE work associated with supporting such an
option, so maybe it belongs in a separate more-general doc since
turn-mobility is useful without it, but it seemed worth bringing up in
this context.

--Brandon