Re: [Trans] Policy for adding to IANA registries requested in 6962-bis

Rob Stradling <rob.stradling@comodo.com> Tue, 13 December 2016 00:53 UTC

To: Eran Messeri <eranm@google.com>, "trans@ietf.org" <trans@ietf.org>
From: Rob Stradling <rob.stradling@comodo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 00:53:25 +0000
Subject: Re: [Trans] Policy for adding to IANA registries requested in 6962-bis

On 12/12/16 15:54, Eran Messeri wrote:
> Some background as to why I propose each of the policies:
> * Expert Review for Hash algorithm and Signature algorithm: The
> algorithm selection does not affect the behaviour of the protocol.
> However, an expect should make sure proposed additions are suitable (for
> example, that a proposed hash algorithm does not suffer from known
> preimage attacks).

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226 section 4.1 says (emphasis mine):
   "Expert Review (or Designated Expert) - approval by a Designated
          Expert is required.  The *required documentation* and review
          criteria for use by the Designated Expert should be provided
          when defining the registry."

So I think we should specify both Expert Review and Specification
Required, just as (for example) https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6844
section 7.2 does:
   "Addition of tag identifiers requires a public specification and
    Expert Review as set out in..."

Separately, should we reserve some values in either or both of these
registries for Private Use or for Experimental Use?

> * Specification requirement for SCT & STH extensions: new values for
> these extensions are meaningless without specifying what they do - how
> should clients behave when encountering them.

+1 (and for the VersionedTransType registry we just added too)

Separately, should we reserve some values in any of these registries for
Private Use or for Experimental Use?

> * First-come-first-served for Log IDs: I can't see how an expect review
> could be meaningful, given log operators requesting those IDs can't
> really prove competence to "own" log IDs, so requiring a "minimal amount
> of clerical information" seems enough.

+1

> Eran
>
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Eran Messeri <eranm@google.com
> <mailto:eranm@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     No policy has been specified in 6962-bis for adding values to the
>     IANA registries requested.
>
>     In https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency-rfcs/pull/215
>     <https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency-rfcs/pull/215> I
>     propose the following policies, all based on definitions in RFC5226:
>     * Hash algorithms and Signature algorithms: Expert Review
>     * SCT extensions and STH extensions: Specification Required
>     * Log ID 1, Log ID 2: First Come First Served.
>
>     Feedback welcome, since, as far as I recall, this topic was not
>     discussed on the list previously.
>
>     Eran

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.