Re: [Trans] Bad Technical Decision: Closing out the SCT encoding discussion

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 13 March 2015 21:05 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:04:22 -0400
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>, trans@ietf.org, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Trans] Bad Technical Decision: Closing out the SCT encoding discussion

Stephen:

Yes, you have captured the essence of my technical concern.

In addition, I point out that the currently-specified structure contains several elements, and these could easily be carried in an ASN.1 structure.  There are many places in the current specification that require the handling of ASN.1, so it is not an implementation imposition to require conformance with RFC 5280, section 4.2:

   Each extension includes an OID and an ASN.1 structure.  When an
   extension appears in a certificate, the OID appears as the field
   extnID and the corresponding ASN.1 DER encoded structure is the value
   of the octet string extnValue.  A certificate MUST NOT include more
   than one instance of a particular extension.  For example, a
   certificate may contain only one authority key identifier extension
   (Section 4.2.1.1).  An extension includes the boolean critical, with
   a default value of FALSE.  The text for each extension specifies the
   acceptable values for the critical field for CAs conforming to this
   profile.

Russ