RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Justification

Yogesh.Swami@nokia.com Wed, 15 January 2003 19:40 UTC

From: Yogesh.Swami@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Justification
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:41:22 -0600
To: carlw@mcsr-labs.org, sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com, trigtran@ietf.org
Sender: trigtran-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

I have a couple of questions/comments based on these E-mails
(these issues might have already been addressed, but I was unable
to access the link that Spencer provided; can someone point me to
the right link?). Here are my questions/comments:

--  Is TRIGTRAN only considering TCP, or can other transport
protocols such as RTP over UDP, or raw UDP with TFRC, also make use of
it?

--  If it's supposed to help other protocols like RTP over UDP, or
UDP using TFRC for rate control, then we need to keep in mind that
unlike TCP, RTP does not have a protocol field in the IP
header. This means that given a stream of UDP packets, one cannot
*reliably* say if these packets belong to a RTP session, of if
they belong to some other protocol on top of UDP which just
happens to have the same format (It's good to be a little paranoid
while designing a new protocol, so don't bite off my head if you
think that the probability of such collisions are small) This also
means that TRINGTRAN routers cannot be stateful (i.e., one cannot
estimate RTT etc for a "flow"--whatever that means).

The framework should indicate such issues, or advise against using
TRIGTRAN for UDP applications...

--  If it's supposed to work only for TCP then it will be useful
to consider how it will work in the presence of IPSec tunnels. Of
course we can just say that it will not work with IPSec, but that
doesn't sound right (to me). Shouldn't IETF protocols work in the
presence of all the other IETF protocols.

--  Since TRIGTRAN is only advisory, it should not have signals
for which the transport layer does not have an in band counter
part. For example, handoff has no in band counterpart for TCP/UDP
and therefore such signals should not be present (but if they are
present then it SHOULD be ignored by the transport)

--  Also, for DoS attacks, TRIGTRANS should not only protect the
transport protocol, but it must protect itself, too. (This is
obvious, but it's probably useful to point it out explicitly.)
From the age-old example, one needs to consider how to handle IPv4
fragmentation; how to respond to multiple anomalies etc so that
the network is not flooded with TRIGTRAN messages..., etc.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Thanks
Best Regards
Yogesh