RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Justification

"Spencer Dawkins" <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com> Fri, 17 January 2003 17:56 UTC

Subject: RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Justification
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:49:20 -0600
From: Spencer Dawkins <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com>
To: trigtran@ietf.org
Sender: trigtran-admin@ietf.org

Hi, Kacheong,

Thanks for your thoughts and questions.

For all - note that we're still writing the justification document. There ARE
still questions that need to be figured out! All comments welcomed...

My notes inline...

Spencer

What I'm thinking about here is giving a TCP sender a clue that what they're
seeing with RTT time variation has little to do with congestion. I note that
(per RFC 2988) we don't include retransmitted packets in RTO calculations
(Karn's algorithms) - I'm wondering about, but not proposing, similar treatment
when the TCP sender is notified of intermittant connectivity.

> >measured RTTs are seconds long, with pretty wide variances,
> so RTOs tend to be
> >over 8 seconds, so I'd prefer not to rely on RTO as a notification.
>
> Could you elaborate on this point?  The scenario mentioned in the
> justification was to avoid the other end to timeout prematurely.  I
> don't understand why an 8 seconds RTO matters here.  Or are you
> suggesting that the trigger actually tells the other side that one
> end has gone away forever?  And because RTO is 8 seconds, the trigger
> can speed this up so that the other side will forget about the
> connection quicker?  This does not sound right.  Please elaborate.

This is the "backed off RTO timer" issue - after only one or two RTO backoffs,
I'm looking at a really long interval after a host becomes reachable, before
the other-end TCP sender reattempts the transmission. TCP Kickstart was a
proposal to solve this problem with end-to-end notifications.

> >You're raising (for the first time) an interesting question
> here - I know
> >I've been assuming that it would be easier to create a new
> mechanism than to
> >modify existing transports. Does anyone else have opinions
> about this? Is it
> >realistic to add states to TCP that reflect new kinds of
> notifications, for
> >instance?
>
> It really depends on what the new mechanism is.  I don't think trigger
> is a good mechanism at all.  If the trigger is advisory only
> and we know
> that any machine can forge one, I am sure that all
> implementations will
> simply ignore any trigger.  If this is the case, what is the point of
> trigger?

You may be right. I hope not.

This is an Allison/Scott question, but my impression is that
there's a LOT of entrophy for TCP changes (to the point of proposed
changes that orbit in Experimental RFC-land before they go to
standards track).

> I believe the basic criterion for a new mechanism is that it must
> work more effectively than any solution by amending existing
> technology.
> If people have not even looked at how existing technology can be
> changed potentially, I'm afraid that thinking of a new mechanism at
> this point is not a wise thing to do.

I agree that this is a good thing to think about. I think it's also
good to think about the amount of entropy involved in making changes
to TCP to accomplish these tasks. I can't tell you what the right
trade-off is (that would be a BOF/WG concensus question, right?).