[rbridge] Review of draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-protocol-13.txt

"Roger Lapuh" <roger.lapuh@nortel.com> Mon, 14 September 2009 21:16 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:04:45 +0100
From: Roger Lapuh <roger.lapuh@nortel.com>
To: d3e3e3@gmail.com, rbridge@postel.org
Subject: [rbridge] Review of draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-protocol-13.txt
Sender: rbridge-bounces@postel.org

Hi Don (Eastlake)

I know you were not trying to imply this, but I got the impression from
your comments that others might infer that the current link-state based
IEEE 802.1 project could take a long time and will not see any market
validation soon. Thus I wanted to point out that a pre-standard version
of 802.1aq (SPBm) has been shipping and is generally available since
2008 and is deployed in several carrier - as well as enterprise customer
(data center) networks. It has been proven to be a scalable and robust
solution with great potentials to extend beyond L2 virtualization. With
that in mind there are several vendors implementing it as well.

For broad market adoption, it makes sense for any new link-state
Ethernet approach to provide maximum interoperability with existing IEEE
standards.

Also, while going through the TRILL draft I was wondering how well you
perceive end-stations and applications will handle the out-of-ordered
(Unicast) packets that you point out within the TRILL design in section
4.5 page 48?

regards,

Roger

Nortel