[rbridge] Consensus Check: Point to Point links

eric.gray at ericsson.com (Eric Gray) Wed, 03 October 2007 15:10 UTC

From: "eric.gray at ericsson.com"
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:10:51 -0500
Subject: [rbridge] Consensus Check: Point to Point links

Donald,

	Given that it is not crystal clear what you mean by
"point to point link", I am not sure I agree with this, at
least as you have worded it here.

	If you mean that the link is a full-duplex Ethernet
link and the two end-points have some definitive mechansim
for determining that they are the only entities using the
link between them, there may be issues with doing this.

	For example, if the link is technically an Ethernet
link, then it is not unlikely that one or the other devices
may have multiple roles - i.e. - it may be both an RBridge
for some frames and either a regular bridge or end station
(for example, a router) for others.  It's arguable that, in
this case, the multi-role device is two (or more) separate
entities - thus invalidating a "point to point" definition
for this case (though only two distinct physical devices
are connected via this link).

	Without a clear agreement between involved entities,
this sort of "short-cut" addressing is likely to result in
higher-level (slow path) processing of many (if not all)
of the frames transiting the link for some implementations.
Moreover, without an unambiguous determination of exactly
when this would apply, it will not be unambiguously clear
when a receiving implementation would have to switch to a
"promiscuous listening" mode.

	I believe omission of the outer VLAN tag suffers from
the same ambiguity.  For instance, it is possible for two
devices to have a "point to point" relationship within a
VLAN context that would nto be the case without the VLAN
context.

	Hence it appears we would have to be explicit in what
we mean by "point to point" link and how we expect that the
entities (RBridges) involved would be able to disambiguate
this p2p status for any given link.

	If we are saying that two devices - using some means
out of scope for our specification - are somehow aware of an
unambiguous point-to-point relationship between them and can
therefore use any MAC DA on transmission, and ignore it on
receipt, we could make the same argument for virtually any
encapsulation choice we might prefer.  But, it would be as
valid to observe that we don't need to specify what is - in
essence - an out-of-context (mis)behavior between consenting
implementations...

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer