[rbridge] Consensus Check: Point to Point links

ddutt at cisco.com (Dinesh G Dutt) Fri, 05 October 2007 06:05 UTC

From: "ddutt at cisco.com"
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:05:39 -0700
Subject: [rbridge] Consensus Check: Point to Point links

Hi Donald,

BPDUs in the L2 world (such as STP, LLDP etc.) are typically identified
by MAC addresses, not ethertype. Some newer protocols such as CFM & OAM
are identified by ethertype and there is supposedly a move to identify
newer BPDUs using ethertype.

The frames we're talking of sending with a fixed (or reserved) address
are the data frames. BPDUs including IS-IS will use the regular MAC
address.

Dinesh