Re: [trill] seeking help to understand a line from TRILL-ESADI draft

Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> Wed, 18 July 2012 18:14 UTC

To: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:15:11 -0400
From: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "trill@ietf.org" <trill@ietf.org>, Swet kumar <swet.kumar@ipinfusion.com>
Subject: Re: [trill] seeking help to understand a line from TRILL-ESADI draft

Seems to me that the MAY sentence all by itself is not helpful.

If sending occasionaly ESADI-CSNPs increases robustness, IMO, the spec
should say that and explain which scenarios its useful in. And then,
MAY doens't seem right either. SHOULD would seem to make more sense...

The RFC 2119 defintion of MAY says:

5. MAY   This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
   truly optional.  One vendor may choose to include the item because a
   particular marketplace requires it or because the vendor feels that
   it enhances the product while another vendor may omit the same item.
   An implementation which does not include a particular option MUST be
   prepared to interoperate with another implementation which does
   include the option, though perhaps with reduced functionality. In the
   same vein an implementation which does include a particular option
   MUST be prepared to interoperate with another implementation which
   does not include the option (except, of course, for the feature the
   option provides.)

which doesn't seem to match the explanation for why the MAY sentence
is in the document.

Thomas