[rbridge] FYI: Where IGMP snooping and multicast router discovery are written up

tme at multicasttech.com (Marshall Eubanks) Fri, 07 April 2006 04:09 UTC

From: "tme at multicasttech.com"
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:09:32 -0400
Subject: [rbridge] FYI: Where IGMP snooping and multicast router discovery are written up

Dear Radia;

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Radia Perlman wrote:

> There's two documents that Bill Fenner pointed me to, and I will put
> pointers into
> the protocol draft (rather than duplicating all the mechanisms).
>
> One document explains how to find multicast routers. This is important
> because
> multicast packets and IGMP reports
> must be sent to each every link on which there is a multicast router.
>
> The multicast router discovery is explained in:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4286
> Since this is an RFC, so we don't have to duplicate what's in it,
> and we can just
> point to it.
>
> The other document explains how to recognize IGMP packets of
> various sorts.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/magma/draft-ietf-magma-snoop/draft-ietf-
> magma-snoop-12.txt
>
> It is unfortunately an internet draft, but hopefully it will become
> an RFC. Does anyone know whether it will? If it will, then we can
> point to it, rather

The draft

draft-ietf-magma-snoop-12.txt

is in the RFC editor queue, and has been for a while (2003-11-24).

This was being held up because  of a reference to draft-ietf-magma-
mrdisc AKA RFC 4286,
but this has now of course cleared up and I believe that now it's
just  in the RFC ED backlog.

The co-chairs of MAGMA (cc'ed here) should know more, but I would
guess it will be a numbered RFC very
soon now.

Regards
Marshall