Re: [rbridge] [Isis-wg] Progressing draft-ietf-isis-trill

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com> Thu, 11 November 2010 04:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:29:54 -0800
From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
To: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@oracle.com>
Cc: rbridge@postel.org, int-ads@tools.ietf.org, rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org, Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@gmail.com>, isis list mailing <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rbridge] [Isis-wg] Progressing draft-ietf-isis-trill
Sender: rbridge-bounces@postel.org

Erik -

My concern in regards to the proposed use of two documents
(draft-ietf-trill-adj/draft-ietf-isis-trill) has nothing to do with
"process" - which you discuss in detail below. It has to do with the
interdependence of the content. When defining extensions to the IS-IS
protocol it is necessary to define the new protocol behaviors and to
define the new TLVs, sub-TLVs, etc. that are used in support of the new
behaviors. To separate the two into different documents is arbitrary and
illogical. Until the review of the protocol behavior is completed we
cannot know if the current definition of the TLVs is complete and
accurate. And until the review of the TLVs is completed we cannot know
whether the protocol behavior description is complete and accurate. Thus
the separation makes life more difficult for both the reviewers and the
authors - and ultimately makes the use of the document(s) as a reference
more difficult.

I used the example of RFC 5303 - but one could look at any of the RFCs
that have been produced by the IS-IS WG (as well as other WGs) over the
years. No one has chosen to make such a separation - and I think for
very good reasons.

I believe the goal at this time is to provide the IS-IS WG with the
opportunity to review the changes to the IS-IS protocol which are
required by TRILL. A complete review requires a document which both
provides the normative definition of the changes and definition of the
encoding used in support of those changes. This most logically belongs
in a single document. If the consensus is that two documents be used
then so be it - but this does not mean that it makes sense to progress
the two documents independently.

In regards to the history you present below, I will only say that an
expectation was explicitly set as far back as draft-ward-l2isis-xx (back
in 2005!!) that all extensions to the IS-IS protocol in support of the
L2 technologies would be defined in an IS-IS WG draft. In more recent
times we had draft-ietf-isis-layer2-xx and now L2 technology specific
documents. My assumption has always been that once the various L2
technologies had reached a level of maturity that they would add the
normative description of changes to the IS-IS protocol processes to an
IS-IS document along with the TLV definitions as this has been the
normal practice with all other protocol extensions as noted above.

   Les

That