Re: [tsvwg] draft-custura-tsvwg-dscp-considerations-02.txt

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 15 June 2021 11:48 UTC

To: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
Cc: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, "Ana C. Custura" <ana@netstat.org.uk>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 12:48:08 +0100
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] draft-custura-tsvwg-dscp-considerations-02.txt

Thanks very much, and please see below:

On 15/06/2021 07:51, Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de wrote:

> Gorry,
>
> Thanks for your draft. Some comments:
>
> It might be worth to differentiate expectations of traffic sources and
> sinks and DSCP setting behavior.
>
>  1. Is the setting behaviour intended to enable a local or sectional
>     differential treatment, without expecting end-to-end service
>     differentiation?
>     Example: Sender domain sets DSCPs to influence stream playout
>     priorities in receiver browsers, or any/many unknown intentions
>     when setting DSCPs.
>  2. Is the setting behaviour intended to enable end-to-end service
>     differentiation with an expectation of interconnection agreements
>     in place?
>     Example: Provider interconnection agreements, e.g. for public
>     telephony service.
>  3. Is the setting behaviour intended to enable end-to-end service
>     differentiation without an expectation of interconnection
>     agreements in place?
>     Example: NQB (as far as I understood it).

I think the expectations are reasonable.

We would like to use this to expand a little the section at the end.

> ----------------------
>
> Section 5.2.1.  Mappings Specified for MPLS Short Pipe
>
> The table is a copy and paste error from GSMA IR.34. RFC8100 uses
> different class names and wouldn’t support DSCPs AF31, AF32, AF21 and
> AF11 in a single class.  If there’s a need for 4 DSCPs at
> interconnection, e.g. CS3, AF31, AF32 and AF33 is conforming to the
> intent of RFC8100.

Sorry, mea culpa. We will will remove that table and will fix.

> ---------------------
>
> Adding a reference to https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3270.txt
> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3270.txt> might be fair.

Yes, we will add.

> ---------------------
>
> My impression is, that this draft, as many others, ignores operational
> practice and operator requirements.
>
>   * As RFC5127 correctly states, backbone networks are often
>     overprovisioned under stable operating conditions. Operating and
>     maintaining a plethora of differentiated, DSCP based service
>     differentiations is a nightmare. My op-staff wouldn’t be happy if
>     they were to reconfigure all or a majority of the backbone routers
>     by a bi-annual DSCP-to-PHB mapping table configuration adaptation.
>     Simple to configure, smooth to operate, comprehensible with
>     limited expertise for monitoring and debugging, and adding value,
>     that’s what’s expected.
>   * The issue of reasonable traffic treatment if a provider receives
>     an unknown DSCP at an edge isn’t explained to the extent I feel to
>     be reasonable.
>
> To add to the latter: Say my domain applies the GSMA IR.34 table. What
> is the recommended treatment of unused DSCPs AF42, AF43…..AF12, AF13
> received by a GSMA IR.34 domain, if that same domain receives these
> combined with AF41, AF31… at an interconnection without any DiffServ
> SLA? RFC2597 seems to say remark to one of the unused AF DSCPs of the
> same ordered aggregate. I’m not sure to which extent a sender using
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8837.txt
> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8837.txt> would be, receiving AF22
> and AF12 traffic which was remarked from the AFx1 DSCPs as my domain
> supports IR.34.
>
> The IETF statement “If packets are received that are marked with an
> unknown or an unexpected DSCP, RFC2474 [RFC2474] recommends forwarding
> the packet using a default (best effort) treatment, but without
> changing the DSCP.” Is just covering one operational scenario, but not
> all. There’s a gap to that within the IETF DiffServ specifications. I
> don’t blame you for that, but drafts handling remarking might add a
> statement why to expect remarking. That gap is one reason (MPLS short
> pipe & IPv4 is another). So adding a statement mentioning this gap in
> standards at section “4.  Remarking the DSCP” in your draft and if
> desired, adding the example given above, may help to explain why there
> is a bleaching behaviour at network boundaries.

I think it would be really useful to add this as an example of how
operational practice can change the marking.

> Regards,
>
> Ruediger

Gorry