Re: [Tsvwg] Input for draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt

Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se> Wed, 01 December 1999 17:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 18:07:35 +0100
To: mallman@grc.nasa.gov
From: Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Input for draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt
Cc: Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se>, Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov>, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, tsvwg@ietf.org, van@cisco.com

At 16:35 01.12.99 , Mark Allman wrote:
>However, I see no reason to block this document on the possibility
>of getting evidence of a new and better RTO estimator at some point
>in the future.

This is not my intention. By now, I understand that the purpose of the I-D
is to simply document the "de facto". This was not clear to me in the
beginning. I now agree that it is a good idea to have this I-D become a
proposed standard, and I appreciate your, Vern's and the other involved
people's efforts.

Furthermore, I certainly agree that any alternative for estimating the RTO
will need to be *very* thoroughly verified before someone even thinks about
feeding it into the IETF. When I started this thread (posting the pointer
to our paper), I wanted to make people aware of some problems we found with
the current "de facto" RTO. My intention was *not* to promote a new RTO
that at this point has *not* been thoroughly verified.

In my past mails, I'm merely questioning what the "de facto" for the
RTO-MIN really is.

///Reiner