Re: [Tsvwg] Input for draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt

Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se> Wed, 24 November 1999 12:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:19:54 +0100
To: Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov>
From: Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Input for draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt
Cc: Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se>, tsvwg@ietf.org

At 07:15 24.11.99 , Vern Paxson wrote:
> > Please consider the following paper as input for
> draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt.
>
>The purpose of the draft is to document the current, de facto standard for
>computing RTO, not to explore possible alternatives.

My understanding from one of your recent mails (Oct. 30) to this list was that
you wanted to open discussions on your and the other I-Ds submitted to TSVWG.
Sending the pointer to our paper is my way of contributing to that discussion.

Also, the TSVWG charter includes the milestone to submit
draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt (or a subsequent version of it) to IESG for
consideration
as a Proposed Standard.

Why would we (TSVWG) want to do that when we know that the current TCP
retransmission timer as documented by draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt has some
major problems, e.g., those discussed in our paper?

///Reiner