Re: WG call for interest to work on draft-touch-tsvwg-port-use [due: 10-Feb-12]

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Mon, 30 January 2012 18:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:30:05 -0800
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Subject: Re: WG call for interest to work on draft-touch-tsvwg-port-use [due: 10-Feb-12]
Cc: tsvwg WG <tsvwg@ietf.org>

Hi, all,

I'm obviously in favor ;-) That aside:

As some additional context, this document intends to include some of the
recommendations that were deemed out of scope for RFC 6335 (which
focused on IANA procedures rather than best practices for users).

These could be gentle (users are encouraged to...) or BCP-style.

We can be very clear as to whether this document is intended to guide
IANA decisions on port assignments (i.e., we can either suggest it is,
declare that it is not, or say that we make no claim either way).

Some very important issues *could* be in scope for this document (or
could be declared out of scope), e.g.:

	- discuss and/or make a recommendation about whether to
	continue the system/user port space distinction
	(IMO, the only useful way to do this is to suggest
	that IANA cease allocating system ports)

	- discuss and/or make a recommendation about whether
	secure and nonsecure versions of the same service should
	use a single port or separate ports

At the very least, this could be a useful reference to newbies who are
creating services, and would be highly beneficial to the ports review
team (which I currently lead).

Joe