RE: UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Wed, 19 May 2010 09:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:23:56 +0100
To: "Phelan, Tom" <tphelan@sonusnet.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Subject: RE: UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP
Cc: DCCP working group <dccp@ietf.org>, TSV Area <tsv-area@ietf.org>, tsvwg@ietf.org

Tom,

At 15:08 18/05/2010, Phelan, Tom wrote:
>Hi Lars,
>
>Well, I like option 1.
>
>I feel that option 2 is a chimera.  The 'G' in the GUT proposal stands
>for "generic", but it is not entirely generic.  The decapsulation stage
>is specific to the encapsulated protocol.  The GUT draft gives one decap
>rule that is more-or-less suitable for TCP and DCCP.  It doesn't work
>for SCTP.
>
>You have to look in detail at the encapsulated protocols to see if a
>proposed decap works.  With my non-detail understanding of TCP, it looks
>like it works, but we'll need someone to look at that in detail.

The G in GUT is certainly not true for host implementations, but
importantly the wire protocol is generic for all e2e protocols it
encapsulates, which is what is important for middleboxes.

>For DCCP, the proposed decap makes partial checksums ineffective.  I
>think it's OK to do that, but you need to state that explicitly in the
>draft, and probably offer guidance on how to deal with partial checksum
>feature negotiation.  You also need to deal with how to signal the use
>of UDP encap, and the other things included in my draft.  Once you've
>done that, you have my draft.
>
>GUT has similar issues for SCTP.  SCTP uses a CRC checksum that doesn't
>include the IP addresses, so the proposed GUT decap doesn't work for it.
>What's needed is actually easier to do.  I don't know enough about SCTP
>to know what else needs to be done.

Earlier on the tsvwg list I was proposing how to get GUT to do a
partial checksum that only covers its own headers, stopping at the
encapsulated headers.

>As I've stated before, if you really think through a generic approach,
>it becomes an overall scheme that can be used by all protocols, plus a
>set of protocol-specific adaptations.  That's where we're at with the
>DCCP- and SCTP-specific drafts.
>
>Tom P.

Bob Briscoe,                                BT Innovate & Design