Re: [dccp] UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP

Eddie Kohler <kohler@cs.ucla.edu> Mon, 24 May 2010 19:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:32:17 -0700
From: Eddie Kohler <kohler@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [dccp] UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP
Cc: DCCP working group <dccp@ietf.org>, TSV Area <tsv-area@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, Tom Phelan <tphelan@sonusnet.com>

Hi Lars,

I vote for (1), SCTP-specific and DCCP-specific UDP encaps.

Although those specific encaps could be very similar, or in fact
identical at first, there are enough protocol differences to recommend
planning ahead for potential divergence.

At minimum there could be two documents that allocate different
well-known UDP ports for SCTP-in-IP-in-UDP encapsulation and
DCCP-in-IP-in-UDP encapsulation (which if I understand correctly is the
"simple UDP tunnel" Lloyd prefers).  I would prefer this to GUT, which
chooses to expend header space rather than port space.

FWIW, my preferred form of tunneling for DCCP would be DCCP-in-UDP
encapsulation.  The DCCP header would be unchanged, except for the
pseudoheader used for checksumming.  This pseudoheader would have source
and destination addresses all zero; the padded IP protocol number for
DCCP; and the padded DCCP length.  I believe this would suffice to pass
current NAPTs, which won't modify the encapsulated DCCP ports.  The UDP
header checksum could be 0 or not; if nonzero, the DCCP checksum could I
suppose be ignored, but I don't feel strongly.  UDP-Lite could be used
or not; I would hope the port number would be the same either way.

Eddie