Re: [tsvwg] draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions -- which WG?

ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk> Thu, 25 October 2012 11:25 UTC

From: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:25:44 -0400
To: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: tsvwg <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions -- which WG?

Bob,

a good bounceback question.

It wasn't our intention to say that "TFRC is good eough if you've got ECN".  The main point we wanted to make is that TFRC exists now, but there are some issues and that is being addressed in RMCAT in the form of requirements and potentially new CC algorithms.  So we'll need to fix our text to convey this properly.  Also, if our draft was that narrowly focused, then yes, we'd move the Reactions draft to RMCAT and probably fold that into one fo the deliverables in the RMCAT charter.

In writing RFC-6679 (ECN for RTP over UDP), the authors agreed that a default approach of using a CC algorithm is what is needed to reduce load when congestion is signaled.  Later on, I came across some carriers (as well as some vendors) who were of the mind set that they have a preference to swap codecs to one that produced less load instead of using a CC algorithm.  From my perspective, this is outside the scope and intent of RMCAT, and yet its a perfectly reasonable approach to consider.  And discussions with others brought up the ideas of on-demand invocation of FEC and RSVP as a means of further protecting certain flows.   From my perspective, this is outside the scope and intent of RMCAT, and yet its a perfectly reasonable approach to consider.  In addition, sets of users not responding to ECN would seem to be at the fringe of RMCAT's charter.

And so we use the title "Reactions to ECN" to purposely be broad in scope and not just focused on CC algorithms reactions to ECN.  That is why I think this document should stay with TSVWG.  Piers and I will also be participating in RMCAT, so we'll be sure to bring up items that can contribute to the discussion and advancement of RMCAT.

cheers,

-ken