Re: [tsvwg] draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions -- which WG?

ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk> Mon, 29 October 2012 09:49 UTC

From: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 05:49:12 -0400
To: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Cc: tsvwg <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions -- which WG?

>>> One first concern is: the draft seems to consist of one recommendation (using TFRC),
>>
>> As I told Bob previously, the draft is *not* meant to be a recommendation.  It is meant to discuss the various reactions that can be used with ECN signaling -- and I'll add that we wanted to add some insight as well.  And with respect to TFRC, we are *not* recommending its use as the default CC algorithm as stipulated in rfc-6679.  If you look carefully at the *end* of this paragraph...
>
> "Not meant to be a recommendation": Here's the first sentence of your abstract:
> "This document presents recommendations for response to Congestion Experience (CE) notifications by real time applications that have negotiated end-to-end support of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)."
>
> So it's obvious that, upon reading it, I believe the draft is meant to be a recommendation, no?

A good catch, which is appreciated, but no.  In previous versions of the draft, we had made a recommendation of using TFRC as *the* default CC algo discussed in rfc-6679.  The rationale was that there was some measure of implementation of TFRC and that we had an RFC to point to.  Feedback during meetings about this recommendation appeared to be in the form of tepid agreement and disagreement.  But our concerns about TFRC and the work ramping up for RMCAT made it seem that it was best to remove the recomendation and point to RMCAT.

As you will have noticed further into the reactions draft, we state a couple of times where in bringing up a type of reaction, we also bring up some issues to consider, but we refrain from giving specific recomendations.  Andas I stated to Bob, we can add more text (experience, best common practice, insights -- like what Ruediger brought up earlier in this discussion) on some of the various reactions we bring up.

So again, thanks for the catch and we scrub the abstract more cleanly next time.

>>  However it should be noted that TFRC is only recommended for real-time
>>  media use with ECN response. TFRC is not recommended for non-ECN paths
>>  due to its loss based operation which leads to full queues with
>>  maximised latencies. It is assumed that ECN markings will usually occur
>>  with lower queue occupancy and thus lower latency. However it is
>>  understood that ECN marks may not provide for sufficiently low
>>  latencies in some situations so other congestion control solutions
>>  would be preferable.
>>
>> ...we state that "other congestion control solutions would be preferable".  The paragraph is meant to be read and taken as a whole. What we can do, based on Bob's initial feedback, is to add/alter the first part of the paragraph to reinforce the understanding that TFRC is one example of a CC algorithm.
>
> I got that. I agree, however, with Bob's point that you can't really expect ECN marking to lead to less delay (sure, AQMs might not follow RFC 3168, but that's rather speculative I guess? If it's not, a reference would be good).

I couldn't give a definitive answer to your question.  I think the answer comes from how the CC algo's in RMCAT are designed and the results we see in their simulation/implementation.

I think I've responded to the rest of your comments in a previous response to Bob's email.

cheers,

-ken