Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb-19.txt - BBR

"Bless, Roland (TM)" <roland.bless@kit.edu> Wed, 02 August 2023 08:22 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 10:22:17 +0200
To: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de, g.white@CableLabs.com
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org
From: "Bless, Roland (TM)" <roland.bless@kit.edu>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb-19.txt - BBR

Hi Rüdiger,

On 02.08.23 at 08:25 Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de wrote:
> thanks. My point is, draft-NQB claims BBR to "generally overshoot the available capacity, causing a queue to build up at the bottleneck link". This contradicts the BBR design aim, as formulated by the BBR authors "..without causing excessive queue pressure", and it seems to contradict a statement to be found within an RFC co-authored by Greg too. In the NQB draft, Greg puts down a negative evaluation of BBR, but does neither provide a reference, nor measurement results backing his assessment. A non-informed reader may take that as whatever BBR claims, they failed. I'd expect a reference for statements like that at least. Or removal.

It is correct that BBRv1 and BBRv2 may overshoot considerably during
their startup phase as other congestion controls would also do during
their slow start phase. Although BBRv3 has a changed startup phase,
I guess that the behavior is still somewhat similar. In general, BBR's
behavior also depends on the bottleneck buffer size and the number of
flows present. In larger buffers BBRv2 still caused considerable
queueing delays that would not fit NQB's goals (e.g., we measured two
flows 20ms and 60ms RTT, 100 Mbit/s bottleneck capacity, 8 BDP buffer
caused 40–60ms queuing delay). This was usually better in smaller
buffers as inflight_hi was set early due to packet loss >%2.
However, newly starting BBR flows would probably regularly exceed
NQB's buffer capacity and thus causing jitter and loss.

Regards,
  Roland