[tsvwg] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-06: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Sun, 24 September 2017 23:51 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation@ietf.org, Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org, gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, tsvwg@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:51:11 -0700
Subject: [tsvwg] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-06: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation/

COMMENT:

Having a document which is sort of a verbal patch on another document is pretty
hard to read. I recognize that this seems to be customary in some areas, so I'm
not marking this as DISCUSS, but I really wish you would do a bis instead.

INLINE COMMENTS
Line 98
   This memo updates RFC 3168 [RFC3168] which specifies Explicit
   Congestion Notification (ECN) as a replacement for packet drops as
   indicators of network congestion.  It relaxes restrictions in RFC
Replacement or additional indicator?

Line 164
      that for congestion indicated by ECN, a different sender
      congestion response (e.g., reduce the response so that the sender
      backs off by a smaller amount) may be appropriate by comparison to
nit: reducing

Line 170
      couples the backoff change to Congestion Marking Differences
      changes (next bullet).  This is at variance with RFC 3168's
      requirement that a sender's congestion control response to ECN
I'm having a lot of trouble reading this sentence. It seems like you are
comparing the ECN response to a lost response, but these other two drafts also
are about a less aggressive response. Perhaps this would be clearer as:

"indicated by loss. Two examples of such a reduced response are..."