Re: [Tsvwg] WGLC on the SCTP Implementer's Guide (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-impguide-14.txt)

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Tue, 23 August 2005 20:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:58:43 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: bidulock@openss7.org
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] WGLC on the SCTP Implementer's Guide (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-impguide-14.txt)
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org, jon.peterson@neustar.biz, Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>
Sender: tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org

Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> Joe,
>
> I believe the name is ala ITU, where:
>
>    "Implementation Guide" => "Errata"

Yes, but this being the IETF it would be more useful to indicate it as
"Update to the SCTP Protocol" than to imply that it is either a guide
(rather than a change in the required specification) or focused on
implementation (rather than specification) issues.

> Normally in the SIGTRAN WG we take the imp guide and combine it with the
> protocol spec to form a -bis (more ITU jargon) document, the final
> document being a replacement protocol spec.
>
> I thinks that this draft goes beyond a BCP, because it make corrections
> and adds some new protocol requirements (such as max burst, cookie
> handling, fixing security holes, adding code points for protocol
> parameters requiring IANA actions, etc.  I does not contain many
> interpretations or operational considerations.
>
> I asked about the status of this document back in Feb 2003 and I was
> told by Michael Tuexen that "the SCTP IG will never become an RFC as far
> as I know.  It is the 'delta' which will be applied to RFC 2960 when
> SCTP is moved from PS to DS or PS again."  A point with which I agree.
>
> IMHO it has little to no use as an "Informational" RFC if it does not
> actually modify the PS.  It might just as well remain a draft.
>
> What I would prefer to see is the deltas detailed in the draft applied
> to RFC 2960 to create an rfc2960-bis draft that we could comment on and
> advance as a new, corrected and updated, PS for SCTP.
>
> But that would be a lot of work and I don't know that the authors or the
> WG are up to that challenge with all the other items on the work agenda.

Agreed on all points; IMO, most of the concerns might be addressed by
making the document title more clear, at least, regardless of what track
the document ends up on.

Joe