Re: [tsvwg] comments on draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-06

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com> Sun, 08 April 2018 13:23 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>
To: "gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
CC: "draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt@ietf.org" <draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 13:22:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [69.141.203.172]
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] comments on draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-06

Hi Gorry,

One place you asked for text (and preparing the NPOV text
is the hardest part, almost no one can do it alone, and many
will retreat when asked for text or reveal their bias when
they write) :

>>        This data information can inform Internet engineering research,
>>        and help the development of new protocols, methodologies, and
>>        procedures.  Hiding the entire transport protocol, including
>>        header information, will restrict the availability of data, and
>>        might lead to the development of alternative, and potentially more
>>        intrusive, methods to acquire the needed data.
>> [acm]
>> ...might lead to...
>> The speculation here will not be welcome to some.
>I suspect you are correct, but then I think the possibility is true. Are
>there better words?

[acm] this is a start, and it avoids speculating about the dark side of the response:

Concealing the transport protocol header information makes the stream performance
unavailable to passive observers along the path, and
likely leads to the development of alternative methods to collect that data.

In general, use of "X needs Y" has been interpreted as "REQUIRED" by
those who don't yet agree to replace the connection status info that TCP provided.
Also, it never helped achieve agreement to mention the worst possible
instantiation of alternative methods.

hope this helps,
Al