Re: [tsvwg] Remarking of LE (draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-02)

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Sun, 16 July 2017 10:47 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 12:47:37 +0200
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>
CC: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Remarking of LE (draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-02)

On 16/07/2017, 12:23, Black, David wrote:
> Small comment as an individual on Roland's original message in this thread:

> I strongly agree that b) is a bad idea.  We should not be adding new ways to black-hole network traffic...
>
> Thanks, --David
I also don't like black-holing network traffic... but in this case I can
still see why (b) could make sense. The thing here is that an LE
transport needs to accept the packets it sends in the network may not
reach the endpoint during resource congestion. Therefore, it must have
mechanisms to deal with such lack of reception for LE packets. The case
for LE is a little different than the other classes we have defined, for
LE, the congestion could persist for a time - and that's quite OK if
there is other traffic more important to use the link resource. If there
is a deadline, an LE App could decide to elevate the LE transport
session to BE (e.g. because LE class traffic fails to make progress),
otherwise it can decide to defer transmssion and finally miss the
deadline.  That leaves me open to hearing arguments for case (b).

An argument for (a) Is that bleaching to DSCP 0 (default) is common
deployed practice. For all other traffic, this results in a lower
class.  Indeed, the router could tell you this was happening,  I'm
interested to know of a good way to tell the sender the DSCP has been
remarked by a router... I'm waiting to be convinced a credible method
exists.

An argument against (a) is that an endpoint that chooses to send traffic
marked LE, and gets elevated to the BE class by the network, may later
on the path encounter other traffic that was also originally marked as
LE. That other traffic is now lower than this traffic - that's an
argument for not "promoting" without telling the sender. Dropping
effectively tells the LE transport there is a problem.

Gorry