[Tsvwg] Re: [rdma] a proposal for a different No-Data-Touch framer for TCP

"John Hufferd" <hufferd@us.ibm.com> Tue, 12 February 2002 01:21 UTC

To: Stephen Bailey <steph@cs.uchicago.edu>
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org, rdma@yahoogroups.com
From: John Hufferd <hufferd@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:03:27 -0800
Subject: [Tsvwg] Re: [rdma] a proposal for a different No-Data-Touch framer for TCP
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Steph,
How small do you think the segmentation will be, and will they generally be
on a word boundary?  The value I used for 361 or 362 (lets call it the
segmentation-point-number) was based on the possibility that the
segmentation could occur on any word boundary in a normal 1460 byte
payload.  If this segment will never get smaller then say 500 bytes, then
clearly the number will change and the probability will be even lower,  on
the other hand if the segmentation can be on a byte level, the
segmentation-point-number will be larger and the probability of false
positive would be higher.

So some guidance on the techniques of fragmentation and resultant sizes
would be useful.

I had assumed, based on what I thought I read in your document, that as
soon as you detected the Re-Segmentation, you would stop TUFing, since I
thought that the re-segmenting was likely to last for a long time.  Then,
when you thought things had reach a steady state again, you would re-probe
for the PMTU, and use that for your new  Frame Size and begin again.  If I
had that right, then, the shut down would be immediate, and only one False
Positive Event would need to be detected.  In that single event case the
probabilities I calculated would be (approximately) correct.

Now, given a single segmentation, and the other assumptions I used, we were
able to get a probability of a single occurrence.  However, if this
re-segmentation and the resulting needed detection, was to continue for
some period of time, then that would clearly change (raise) the probability
very quickly.

 .
.
 .
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

Stephen Bailey <steph@cs.uchicago.edu> on 02/11/2002 02:41:26 PM