Re: [tsvwg] Tsvwg meeting: Diffserv - some thoughts

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Mon, 12 November 2012 19:00 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:59:53 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Tsvwg meeting: Diffserv - some thoughts

> That may be a streaming versus conferencing issue (different
> environments and audience) and I'm open for discussion.

Good - even if/when audio and video are in different service
classes in RFC 4594, they don't have to be in different queues
in the implementation, e.g., see RFC 5127.

> What I suggest is to get more clarity about which problem we
> try to solve by DiffServ regarding bottlenecks. Sorry if
> that is clear to all and I'm a bit thick here.

We're on the same page here.  The only initial result of the
discussion of James' draft last week is that we definitely have
a problem with the absence of the distinction between interactive
vs. non-interactive media traffic.  I have the action items to
draft crisp questions to the list about the other things that
James proposes changing so that we can have focused discussions
around whether to change them.

Thanks,
--David