Re: [Tsvwg] SCTP applicability statement

"Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock@openss7.org> Mon, 05 November 2001 03:28 UTC

Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 21:12:41 -0600
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock@openss7.org>
To: Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu>
Cc: sigtran <sigtran@lyris.nortelnetworks.com>, "Transport Area wg (E-mail)" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] SCTP applicability statement
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Allison,

A couble of remarks on the watchdog timer from AAA and its
(lack) of applicability to SS7 UAs:

1)  The timer is 30 to 60 seconds.  SS7 UAs must normally
    failover with 0.1-0.5 seconds.

2)  The watchdog timer is an application transaction timer.
    SS7 UAs have no implicit acknowledgement or transaction
    structure within the message flow that is usable by M2PA,
    M2UA, M3UA or SUA in determining when to cancel the
    watchdog timer.  Data in these UAs is unstructured (or
    at least its structure is not known to the UA).  A sequence
    number would need to be added to messages and acknolwedged
    separately to cancel the timer.

Because there is no structure know by the UA (no separate
transaction and response as there is in AAA), sequence numbers
and acknowledgements would be required for each message.
Then the watchdog timer reduces to a retransmission timer.

So, it appears that you are saying that SIGTRAN protocols must
implement sequence numbers, acknowledgements, queueing and
retransmission after all.

Are you sure this is what you wish to recommend rather than
fixing several problems in SCTP?

--brian

Allison Mankin wrote:                                     (Sun, 04 Nov 2001 21:41:38)

Brian F. G. Bidulock
bidulock@openss7.org
http://www.openss7.org/