Re: [Tsvwg] new revision of early retransmit available

Mika Liljeberg <mika.liljeberg@welho.com> Sun, 24 August 2003 09:46 UTC

Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] new revision of early retransmit available
From: Mika Liljeberg <mika.liljeberg@welho.com>
To: mallman@grc.nasa.gov
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:36:03 +0300
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Mark,

The SACK variant looks a lot more robust compared to the ack counting
variant. I would feel fairly confident in putting this into an
implementation. I tend to agree that today there's really no excuse to
not do SACK if one is at all interested in performance, so I think a
SACK only variant would be fine.

One suggestion for improvement, though.

Standard Nagle will prevent any smaller than MSS sized segment of new
data from being sent unless all the preceding segments have been acked
first. This means that limited transmit typically cannot be applied with
the last segment of a data burst and, in particular, at the end of the
connection.

The draft discusses the problems observed with limited transmit and a
small congestion window but doesn't mention the interaction with Nagle
anywhere. I would be good to give some attention to this as well. Early
retransmit can help in both cases.

	MikaL