Re: making this happen...

Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcern.cern.ch> Tue, 15 September 1992 12:41 UTC

Subject: Re: making this happen...
To: tuba@lanl.gov
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1992 09:40:25 -0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcern.cern.ch>

> - what is the target set of documents we need to have in motion
>   by November? IS {RFC1347, CLNPforTUBA I-D, DNSchanges I-D} sufficient?

No, we also need this:

> - anyone, especially someone in network operations, have any ideas about a
>   transition plan they'd like to share?

Being realistic after the Kobe flame wars, it is my view that
we need a transition-and-coexistence plan. I mean that there will,
presumably, be some form of IPv7 in the world which is _not_ TUBA
as well as communities which prefer TUBA because they are running
CLNP for other reasons. Therefore, TUBA has to say how to get there
from here _and_ how to interwork with an unknown IPv7.

I simply do not have time to work on a draft transition and coexistence
plan. It's possible that somebody at CERN can work on this starting
December but this is not a commitment. However it is my gut feeling
about such a plan that led to my suggested additions to the Appendix
of CLNPforTUBA I-D  - they are directed towards coexistence rather
than transition, and tend to put the onus for coxistence on the
routers rather than the hosts.

I am heavily backlogged, so maybe this issue has been discussed
on the list in the last few days, but I haven't seen any arguments
that come near to changing my view on this point.

Regards,
	Brian Carpenter CERN, brian@dxcern.cern.ch
			voice +41 22 767 4967, fax +41 22 767 7155