Re: options, not nesting?

Martin Hamilton <M.T.Hamilton@lut.ac.uk> Thu, 28 October 1993 21:08 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Martin Hamilton <M.T.Hamilton@lut.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: options, not nesting?
To: Michael Mealling <ccoprmm@oit.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 17:15:52 +0000
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

/ > I think this means the whole URM, URC, ... shebang is rendered
/ > unnecessary, but am willing to be convinced otherwise!
/
/ In my paper I call that template a URTemplate. I added URMs as an allowed
/ data element in the Template because that allows you to send around
/ your meta-information and other stuff with the URNs and URLs.

Woah!  Hold on Michael!!  What I'm saying is that the IAFA (say)
template can _already_ associate URLs and URNs with metadata by virtue
of the URI attribute, so why complicate matters further by introducing
a whole host of other UR*s?  This is surely more than enough to
keep everyone busy for the next few months ?!? :-))

To give you a concrete example, the WAIS I-D might look something
like this...

  Template-Type: document
  Category: Informational RFC
  Title: WAIS over Z39.50-1988
  Author-Name: M. St. Pierre, J. Fullton, K. Gamiel, J. Goldman, B. Kahle,
    J. A.  Kunze, H. Morris, F. Schiettecatte
  Version: 00
  Pages: 5
    The purpose of this memo is to initiate a discussion for a migration
    path of the WAIS technology from Z39.50-1988 (Information Retrieval
    Service Definitions and Protocol Specification for Library Applications)
    to Z39.50-1992 and then to Z39.50-1994.  The purpose of this memo is
    not to provide a detailed implementation specification, but rather to
    describe the high-level design goals and functional assumptions made
    in the WAIS implementation of Z39.50-1988.  WAIS use of Z39.50-1992
    and Z39.50-1994 standards will be the subject of future RFCs.
  Publication-Status: Internet Draft (IIIR Working Group)
  Publisher-Organization-Name: IETF
  Creation-Date: November 1993
  Format: text
  Size: 13475
  Language: En.US
  Character-Set: 8859/1
  URI: URN:ASCII:IANA:internet-drafts:draft-ietf-iiir-wais
  URI: URL:ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt
  URI: URL:ftp://munnari.oz.au/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt
  URI: URL:ftp://nic.nordu.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt

Is this unpalatable to anyone?  If so, could you explain why??

Cheers!

Martin