Re: options, not nesting?

Michael Mealling <ccoprmm@oit.gatech.edu> Thu, 28 October 1993 23:26 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Michael Mealling <ccoprmm@oit.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: options, not nesting?
To: Martin Hamilton <M.T.Hamilton@lut.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 13:47:46 -0400
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

Martin Hamilton said this:
> / > I think this means the whole URM, URC, ... shebang is rendered
> / > unnecessary, but am willing to be convinced otherwise!
> /
> / In my paper I call that template a URTemplate. I added URMs as an allowed
> / data element in the Template because that allows you to send around
> / your meta-information and other stuff with the URNs and URLs.
>
> Woah!  Hold on Michael!!  What I'm saying is that the IAFA (say)
> template can _already_ associate URLs and URNs with metadata by virtue
> of the URI attribute, so why complicate matters further by introducing
> a whole host of other UR*s?  This is surely more than enough to
> keep everyone busy for the next few months ?!? :-))

Hmm....This is similiar to what Mitra was saying. But I think I'm warming
to the suggestion.

> To give you a concrete example, the WAIS I-D might look something
> like this...
>
>   Template-Type: document
>   Category: Informational RFC
>   Title: WAIS over Z39.50-1988
>   Author-Name: M. St. Pierre, J. Fullton, K. Gamiel, J. Goldman, B. Kahle,
>     J. A.  Kunze, H. Morris, F. Schiettecatte
>   Version: 00
>   Pages: 5
>     The purpose of this memo is to initiate a discussion for a migration
>     path of the WAIS technology from Z39.50-1988 (Information Retrieval
>     Service Definitions and Protocol Specification for Library Applications)
>     to Z39.50-1992 and then to Z39.50-1994.  The purpose of this memo is
>     not to provide a detailed implementation specification, but rather to
>     describe the high-level design goals and functional assumptions made
>     in the WAIS implementation of Z39.50-1988.  WAIS use of Z39.50-1992
>     and Z39.50-1994 standards will be the subject of future RFCs.
>   Publication-Status: Internet Draft (IIIR Working Group)
>   Publisher-Organization-Name: IETF
>   Creation-Date: November 1993
>   Format: text
>   Size: 13475
>   Language: En.US
>   Character-Set: 8859/1
>   URI: URN:ASCII:IANA:internet-drafts:draft-ietf-iiir-wais
>   URI: URL:ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt
>   URI: URL:ftp://munnari.oz.au/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt
>   URI: URL:ftp://nic.nordu.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt
>
> Is this unpalatable to anyone?  If so, could you explain why??

I would make some slight changes because what you are saying is that ALL
of those URLs are of type text. What do I do if I have a URN that is in
multiple formats? Add something like precedence and I think we might
have something. What I mean by precedence is that if a non-URI template
item appears after a URI: URN then that info is global. If it appears
after a URI: URL then it is only local to that specific example. Hmm...
do a %s/precedence/scope/ in the last paragraph. Basically you would
have:

[...]
Format: Postscript
Size: 1313475
Language: En.UK
Character-Set: 8859/1
URI: URL:ftp://nic.nordu.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iiir-wais-00.txt

Is this change unpalatable?

Michael Mealling                     ! Hypermedia WWW, WAIS, and gopher will be
Georgia Institute of Technology      ! here soon via MIME. Your view of the
Michael.Mealling@oit.gatech.edu      ! internet is about to change completely!