Re: [urn] Fragments Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Mon, 26 March 2012 07:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:55:37 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: jehakala@mappi.helsinki.fi
Cc: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] Fragments Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt

I'm just going to follow up 2 points for now:

 >> The issue with doing that with URNs is: they are designed to be
 >> flexible enough to support multiple types of response -- the URN does
 >> not designate a type.
 >
 > URN in general does not, but there are identifier systems which do.

But this is the general URN syntax.  So we should have a syntax that
supports the general URN, not other identifier systems.

 >> For example, you might get a PDF back instead of HTML, and then your
 >> HTML #<fragment> will be pointless.
 >
 > With URN:ISBN this would not happen, since a book published in PDF
 > format will have another ISBN than the book in HTML format (provided
 > that the publisher is using the ISBN system correctly).

Your parenthetical remark is key:  historicaly experience suggests that
there is little reason to expect they will.  Just looking at the number
of ISBNs assigned to teddy bears in gift shops, for example.

 >> 1/ a very thorough review by URI experts to make sure it actually
 >> would hold water,
 >
 > There was quite a lot of discussion on the list about this in the past.
 > The outcome of that discussion is reflected in the current drafts.

I'm not sure that you caught that I said URI experts, there.  Not the
URNbis WG mailing list.

Leslie.