Re: [urn] New urns-are-not-uris draft

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Mon, 07 July 2014 13:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 16:02:29 +0300
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] New urns-are-not-uris draft

Hello,

On 6.7.2014 19:43, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Sunday, 06 July, 2014 02:14 +0000 Larry Masinter
> <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> ===============
>> It isn't true that ISBN numbers never change. They change
>> rarely, perhaps. A primary use  of ISBN was as bookstore stock
>> and pricing unique key. So if a book is printed with multiple
>> color covers, they might use the same ISBN number. New
>> printing, perhaps a minor printing flaw fixed, ditto. The
>> permanence and meaning of this kind of identification for
>> documents will change even further.
> Based on reading the standard (have you done that?) and a few
> discussions with the registration agency, I think your
> interpretation above is wrong or at least misleading.  But that
> is not an area where I claim expertise so I'll let others debate
> it with you if they are so inclined.  A few of your comments
> below been elided.  I hope others with more in-depth expertise
> will respond to them, especially if they believe the topics have
> not been adequately covered already.

I was a member in the working group which wrote the current version of
the standard.

ISBN Manual
(https://www.isbn-international.org/sites/default/files/ISBN%20Manual%202012%20-corr.pdf)
and the standard itself provide detailed guidelines on how to apply
ISBNs. Every well managed identifier system should have published
guidelines document.

An ISBN which has been assigned to a book will never change. The ISBN of
Food composition data interchange handbook published by United Nations
University in 1992 is and will always be 92-808-0774-9. This ISBN will
never be reused (assigned to another book) and this version of the
handbook will never get another ISBN.

Chapter 5 of the ISBN manual (Application of ISBN) says that if there
are no changes to the content and physical form (or if just some
misprints are fixed), the same ISBN can still be used for reprint. But
if there are substantial changes to the intellectual content, new ISBN
is required. ISBNs are usually accompanied with detailed metadata which
describes the difference between two editions (e.g. 2nd, revised ed.).

Had the Food composition data interchange handbook been published in
different formats (hardback, paperback, PDF and so forth) each one of
them would have received its own ISBN.

ISBN community, like other communities using traditional identifiers,
does not need URNs to extend the scope of the existing identifier system
or to change its current identifier assignment policy. URNs are needed
mainly in order to make the existing identifier systems actionable in
the Internet. Theoretical discussion in this list on the principles of
naming / identification has therefore not been particularly helpful.

Whether the current principles for assigning ISBNs are correct from IETF
point of view (whatever that means), or the fact that it is possible to
misuse ISBNs (some publishers especially in the U.S.A. would like to
give the same ISBN to all digital versions of a book) is, IMO, not
something that needs to be discussed in URNBIS / IETF. IETF does not
have a mandate to change the policy of ISBN assignment. And there are
other URN namespaces out there which are more problematic than URN:ISBN
from management point of view.

> In particular, your excerpts from what is now Section 3 are
> about text for which Juha provided that starting point and that
> has been, IMO, extensively discussed on-list.  If he tells me
> that I misinterpreted his intent, I will be happy to revise as
> needed (also, of course, if Andrew tells me the WG consensus is
> different).

No, John has interpreted my intent correctly.

>   But, unless you are ready to engage with his
> position, and, IMO, do so with equal experience and authority,
> repetition of the same assertions this just leads us in circles.
>
>> Not every blog post gets
>> its own identifier, with many information tools, 'location' is
>> meaningless. You may think this is a minor point or these are
>> corner cases, but I think they're central. The well-ordered
>> world wished for isn't there.
> I think that may be true but is certainly irrelevant.  See
> above... and Juha's repeated comments about managed processes.

The world as a whole is not well-ordered, but there are parts of it
which are reasonably well managed and orderly. And it is in these well
managed parts of the world where URNs and other persistent identifiers
are most urgently needed. If there is no requirement to preserve a
document for long term (beyond the life time of technologies such as
HTTP) then even protocol dependent and un-managed "identifiers" may be
sufficient.

A blog post in the web is not persistent, but a blog post harvested into
the national library's web archive will be preserved for long term, and
is likely to receive a persistent identifier as well.

Juha