Re: [Uta] Proposed definition of opportunistic encryption using TLS: draft-hoffman-uta-opportunistic-tls-00.txt

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 03 February 2014 13:46 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 12:45:38 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, uta@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Uta] Proposed definition of opportunistic encryption using TLS: draft-hoffman-uta-opportunistic-tls-00.txt

Hi Paul,

On this one, I don't really care which, if any, WG, ends up
processing a draft defining these terms, but it is important
that the definitions related to the use of the term
opportunistic and crypto be ones that work for more than
TLS, this WG and the apps area, but are as well accepted
for the entire IETF. For example, IPsec and even MPLS folk
should be able to use the same terms without confusion arising.

Note also that there will be discussion on this topic at the
STRINT w/s before IETF-89 and I have some hope that we can
get agreement quickly enough between there and the following
week of meetings that it won't matter which WG "owns" the
draft.

On your draft Paul, I don't think it really covers that
charter work item since it only has some definitions. But
that said, if we conclude a WG document is better, I'm fine
if this WG is the place to write down the definitions so
long as those are more broadly accepted.

And a few more near-random comments:

Ending up with substantively different definitions for
the term opportunistic e.g. when used with TLS and IPsec
would be a dumb outcome IMO. At present we do have such
confusion and we do need to fix that, so a draft like
Paul's that does define the terms is something we do
want. I know that Steve Kent is also working on a different
draft that defines these terms, perhaps differently.
I've not thought about which of the two might be a
better starting point, and Steve's isn't yet published
so others can't either. (Steve's text will be published
at the end of this week with other STRINT submissions
though.)

So I think this is one to discuss in London.

S.