Re: [Uta] draft-ietf-uta-xmpp downref

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Mon, 20 April 2015 22:51 UTC

To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <peter@andyet.net>
references: <5535775C.8030908@cs.tcd.ie> <55357B21.9080508@andyet.net> <CALaySJ+cjrHTG7=i6DZAzfQTVgc3a5P-4B5RUknO4j9mchyozg@mail.gmail.com>
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
message-id: <553582DE.3090607@bogus.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:51:10 -0700
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.0
mime-version: 1.0
in-reply-to: <CALaySJ+cjrHTG7=i6DZAzfQTVgc3a5P-4B5RUknO4j9mchyozg@mail.gmail.com>
Cc: "uta@ietf.org" <uta@ietf.org>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [Uta] draft-ietf-uta-xmpp downref

On 4/20/15 3:41 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
>>> It was pointed out to me that RFC4949 as a normative
>>> reference here is a downref, and I didn't call that
>>> out during the IETF LC for this document. (Sorry about
>>> that.) Oddly, 4949 hasn't previously been added to the
>>> downref registry. [1]
>>
>> That surprises me, given that RFC 4949 is already a normative reference from
>> draft-ietf-uta-tls-bcp as well as RFC 6749 and RFC 7489 (both of which are
>> standards-track).
>
> It surprised me too.  We missed it for uta-tls-bcp and 6749 (OAuth).
> 7489 (DMARC) is not Standards Track.
>
>>> 2. I re-do the IETF LC just for this point and we put 4949
>>>     into [1] so this won't be a deal for other drafts in
>>>     future
>>
>> Someone needs to blaze this path, so it might as well be us.
>
> That's my preference,  It's a small delay, less than two weeks... then
> we add 4949 to the downref registry and we're set for the future.
>
> While Joel might like to ignore the process, we can't; RFC 3967 (BCP
> 97) is explicit:

To wit, I am not ignoring the process.

   Once a specific down reference to a particular document has been
   accepted by the community (e.g., has been mentioned in several Last
   Calls), an Area Director may waive subsequent notices in the Last
   Call of down references to it.  This should only occur when the same
   document (and version) are being referenced and when the AD believes
   that the document's use is an accepted part of the community's
   understanding of the relevant technical area.  For example, the use
   of MD5 [RFC1321] and HMAC [RFC2104] is well known among
   cryptographers.