[Uta] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-uta-email-deep-09: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 25 October 2017 03:00 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-uta-email-deep@ietf.org, uta-chairs@ietf.org, leifj@sunet.se, uta@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 20:00:39 -0700
Subject: [Uta] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-uta-email-deep-09: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-uta-email-deep-09: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-email-deep/

COMMENT:

I am balloting YES because I believe it is important to publish this. But there
are a few issues I think should be resolved first:

Substantive:

-2: There are several instances of lower case versions of 2119 keywords. If
those are intentional, then please use the updated boilerplate from 8174.

-4.1, last paragraph: "It is RECOMMENDED that new users be required to use TLS
version 1.1
   or greater from the start."
Is 1.1 correct? Why not start with 1.2?

-5, bullet starting with: MUAs SHOULD provide a prominent visual indication "
This section seems to merit a MUST NOT level requirement about displaying the
visual indication without sufficient evidence of confidentiality.

-5.4: I'm confused at why certificate pinning is okay for explicitly invalid
certificates, when click-through overrides were previously recommended against.
It seems like the same level of abuse is likely. (It's one thing to allow a
user to set policy for an invalid cert; it's another to prompt them to do so.)

-5.5: How would a client determine that a client cert could be safely used with
a particular server? (What does "safely" mean in this context?)

Editorial:

- Abstract: Please mention the updated RFCs

-4: "The following practices are recommended "
There are some MUSTs in those practices. That makes them required, not merely
recommended.

-4, first and third bullets: s/ which / that

-4.1, first paragraph: The two "MAYs" seem more like statements of fact.

-5, 3rd bullet: "MUAs MUST NOT consider "
s/consider/treat   (unless we are talking about humans are AIs :-)  )